Open  our shadow selves
Home
user cp
market
compendium

lurking: 1 Guest(s)
Equine 99yo Female, Average & Average Native 36 posts 0 Honor 698 ☪ Pyro

TELL ME SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW

Today she wants to be alone. Only for a while though, just enough so that she can try something without freaking out anybody else.  The meadows of Anemone are peaceful and wide so that if anyone approaches she can see them quickly. Once she is in a flat area between hills she stops and takes a deep breath. Since she touched that orb she has not been able to stop thinking about it, especially since Reckitt told her it would change her. Apart from the pool incident in the caverns she has yet to experience a change. She’s not sure if that really had anything to do with the orb but it’s the only hint she has received. Without a reflection to base herself on she might have a harder time creating a hologram. Closing her eyes, she tries to imagine herself. Her dark bay coat, her single white sock, the horns that protrude from her shoulders and forehead and her dual colored mane. Blue orbs peek out as her eye lids lift up. Nothing. She snorts in frustration as she paces around in a circle. Of course she failed! How could she have ever expected anything more? Reckitt…she has to be wrong about the orbs. Whatever magic she has chose her, selected her because she is special. Klaia is not special. She is a being made of clay, a prototype made by the gods before they dared to experiment with something more exciting like magical powers.

She’s about to leave, infuriated, as she hears a voice call out. “You are a big fat failure.” It’s not just any voice, it’s her own! Her eyes search for the source before tripping on her spitting image. A Klaia doppelganger stares at her with a scowl planted on her face and hatred in her sky-blue eyes. She’s much more solid and real looking that the one at the moon pool. It seems her feelings of self-loathing were strong enough to power her magic. Now that she thinks about it she does feel drained, as if her energy has been stolen by her evil copy. “Did you really think you were worthy of magic?” Somehow it hurts so much more when she sees the words being formed by her own lips. “I..” she stammers, but the clone is quicker. “You should have stayed with your herd Klaia, this world is too big for someone like you.” She knows these are merely her own thoughts being bounced back at her. Her own devilish creation but she can’t help the pain that overtakes her heart. Evil Klaia opens her mouth again but this time the real one charges forward in a blind and deaf rage. Clay body slices through the illusion like teeth on flesh and the image disappears. “Shut up.” Her voice is shaky with emotion and she looks up at the sky to keep the tears from coming out. It is scary to see how low she has gotten and how big her issues have become. There has to be something she can do about this, she conjured up that creature and yet she feels more powerless than ever.

@Morrighan

Equine 50yo Female, Average & Thin Native 7 posts 0 Honor 0 ☪ Layla
The more time she spent alone, the more she had time to think. However, this could be considered both a good and bad thing.

There was always going to be the bitterness of losing her magic. Sure, she could burn the ground beneath her hooves while she walked, but that wasn't nearly as exciting as what she used to be capable of. Flames would engulf her body, but they would not burn her flesh, just simply floated around her like a vortex until she willed it at something (or someone). She had so much power and so much control. Hell, she could've even overthrown her own kingdom, but she had too much respect towards them. Clearly though, that had been a mistake since they were pitifully slain during the war.

If she had been the one to lead Nieven to war… would it have ended any differently? Perhaps, although it was the universe or the gods, whoever really, that had determined the outcome of the war. There had been no real winner or loser, just many left for dead and a world of magic shattered to pieces.

Maybe now she could start to gather those who were strong enough for another fight. Morrighan wasn't sure if she had the courage deep in her heart to lead (although she would never admit this). It was for certain before she could do anything major, she had to regain her power. With that, she was nothing.

As she trotted through the meadow, there was a sense of calm here. It was almost disgustingly calm and pretty here, so it didn't really give her the satisfaction of solitude that other areas would bring. No matter, she figured she'd graze and take some more time to think and plan. There would be a lot of that needed if she was to go through with her plan.

A strange sight could be seen further down the meadow as she came up upon a hill. There were two equines that looked identical to each other and one seemed to be yelling at the other. Sibling rivalry? Morrighan found it somewhat entertaining, so she stayed where she was and watched how things would unfold. Maybe if the yelling one proved their worth, she'd recruit them today.

However, she soon found out that the second equine was not real and some type of magical doppelganger. When they charged at the other, they came apart like clay upon impact and disappeared. The mare blinked, slightly confused about what just happened. This only lasted for a moment when a lightbulb went off. Someone with this ability would be very useful in battle…

She made her way over to the other equine who appeared to be pretty shaken up. "You look like shit," she stated matter-of-factly, looking the mare up and down. Now that Morrighan could get a closer look, she wasn't sure if her initial plan would be relevant anymore. Their power could be helpful if taught properly, but the actual user itself did not seem very strong-willed. Even though the other equine had been nothing but magic, they had apparently said enough to upset the mare and they were taking it a little too seriously. Pathetic.

"How long have you been able to conjure projections like that?" she asked, appearing to be genuinely curious, but still testing the girl. "Though, I'm not sure that the idea is for them to attack you."

"Speaking."
Art by The-Day-of-Shadow ; Table by Layla

@Klaia

now the dark begins to rise
save your breath, it's far from over

They say that when one hits rock bottom the only way to go is up but when the stranger arrives with her candid statement Klaia feels as if she is just sinking further into the earth. Blue eyes spark with suppressed anger. She’s had enough criticism for one day, feeling vulnerable she starts building her walls up again. Lately she has been too open, too innocent and maybe that’s gotten her where she is today. She shouldn’t have let herself hope. Her gaze instantly fastens itself to the strange woman’s hooves that appear to burn the ground beneath them. Wisps of smoke collect around her ankles and that causes the dark bay mare to step back cautiously before making eye contact once more. “Gee aren’t you the observant one?” Her voice is dripping with sarcasm and although she tries to keep her face neutral her emotions still manage to place cracks in the façade. She’s not going to deny that she’s a mess but only because she was caught in the act. How had she not seen this mysterious stranger approaching? Probably because she was too wrapped up in her inner drama to notice.

The mare then tosses a question at her, seeming truly curious about it. Should she tell her about the orbs? That information had not really helped her that much anyway. “Not that long.” She replies instead. It is still the truth but not the whole truth. Hey, she’s 99 years old she’s old enough to fib a little. No one has to tell her right from wrong, it’s not like it would be much help anyway since she just tends to do nothing anyway. Her anger is fading away slowly. Like embers cooling, she seems to settle into disappointment which she instead project as numbness. Her feelings were already hurt and she does not trust this woman to not make her feel worse. And yet when the other mare offers more criticism she has a small flare up. “Obviously you don’t understand how magic works.” Oops. Klaia does not understand either why would she say that? Maybe because she can take being called a crybaby, but unable to control her own powers? Never! “I just needed emotion to power it up, that’s all.” Her mere concentration and will power couldn’t do it. It took a little bit of self-doubt and loathing to get the job done. All she knows is that the hologram was linked to her mentally since it knew of her thoughts. If she practices perhaps she can turn it around and use that connection to control the illusion. She’s not about to practice in front of this lady however. Failing by herself is embarrassing enough.

“Are you new to Ourania?” She instead tries to turn the conversation back to the stranger putting emphasis in the word new. Pulling herself out of her thoughts she takes her time to examine the mare but she wishes she did not. With her simple features, she should not make Klaia so jealous and yet there is an air about the female that screams strength and power. She’s unapproachable, untouchable, perhaps like the old gods once were rumored to be. The dark bay mare tries to stand a little taller herself. Nose lifts a little higher and she angles her head so that the sunlight reflects off her yellowed horn. If she had any feathers to puff out she would have.

@Morrighan

Morrighan’s statements at first were met with sarcasm, to which she rolled her eyes at. She was the queen of sarcasm here, so this stranger was nothing. Shortly after though, it seemed that she had struck a nerve.

"Not that long. Obviously you don’t understand how magic works."

At this, Morrighan snorted and she could feel the heat within her hooves getting more intense. Light wisps of smoke began to rise up from the ground, greatly emphasizing her annoyance. Was this mare really going to test her like this?

"Oh, trust me, I know how magic works and the display I saw was certainly not good. You’re in much need of practice there, girl," she sneered and circled her again. There were signs of age on this one and yet, her demeanor was that of a distressed juvenile. She was trying to hide her failure by claiming that she had to power up her ability with emotion? Judging from her stance, it affected her much more strongly than it should have.

Then she had the audacity to ask if Morrighan was new to Ourania; the question made her laugh. "Am I new to Ourania… you must greatly underestimate me. I am Morrighan Ciardha, fallen soldier of the Nieven kingdom that had called Ourania their home for centuries. It was only until the damn canines stuck their noses where they didn’t belong that my kingdom fell during the war."

As she spoke about the past, the burn marks in the ground became darker and she had to calm herself. If she got too intense too fast, she would risk her body becoming fatigued. She could not have that when she was trying to prove a point to this mare.

"Now we are scattered, but I plan to rebuild…" she continued, the bitterness and rage inside her boiling. "If you know what’s good for you, you would consider me a valuable ally and maybe I’d be willing to help you with your magic problem."

Helping this equine was low on her priority list, but maybe she could still take her in as a follower. Someone else could deal with her unless she proved her worth in time. There was still more to know about them, so maybe, just maybe there was a chance that Morrighan would give her the time of day.

"And what do they call you?" Other than a potential waste of my time, she almost wanted to add. Though, as much as she had annoyed Morrighan so far, it might be entertaining to piss her off further.

"Speaking."

@Klaia

now the dark begins to rise
save your breath, it's far from over

The stranger snorts at her statements but it isn’t until she notices the growing smoke beneath the paint mare’s hooves that her stomach begins to knot with nerves. She keeps a straight face on, her fear only revealed by her eyes that flit between the face of the female and her feet. No one could know her weakness especially since it is obvious to her that they are not going to be friends. An enemy that could wield fire and cause a smoke-filled forest fire would be her worst nightmare. Keep it cool Klaia. Her gaze now becomes fixed on the other equine’s face to not give away her worries. Venomous words are thrown her way and she presses her lips together but does not give any other indications of how hard that hit. “Well then, good that I have plenty of time to practice.” She says in relation to her immortality. With her tendency to avoid battles and war, the chances that she would die any time soon seems really slim to her even if she has angered this stranger. It takes more than annoyance to kill someone, right? Klaia cannot even fathom taking the life from another creature no matter how much she loathes them.

She is being circled now, examined like prey to see if she is plump enough to be a worthy morsel. Klaia does not appreciate this treatment and she makes it known with an exasperated snort. At her question about whether she was new to Ourania the stranger laughs, sending a chill down the horned mare’s spine. It is clear that she is the villainess and Klaia is the zero that will have to become a hero in order to save the day. She better get herself a mentor quick or the world is in trouble. In typical villain fashion Morrighan, as her name is revealed to be, begins to monologue about her great past. The dark bay mare resists the desire to make faces while lip syncing to the story, just barely. So, she stands in the presence of a former soldier. She could not lie to herself, the woman has a certain aura that makes her seem above the normal crowd. But that only makes Klaia dislike her more. Yes, she is jealous, but that still seems like a perfectly good reason to not like this lady!

“I was never too familiar with the kingdoms.” She speaks honestly and notices the contempt with which Morrighan spoke of canines. With opinions like that of course she participated in the war. Hopefully she would not try to bring that kingdom back, the fates had spoken and they wanted the rift to be mended not enlarged. The woman offers her help in the nicest way possible, note the sarcasm, causing a strained smile to appear on the darker equus’ face. “Thank you, but I already have pledged my loyalty to another cause. Surely you have better things to do than train a lost cause like me.” She switches quickly to self-deprecation so that she does not appear as if she’s taking the side opposite to hers. Just not her side. Her name is then asked and she quickly replies. “Klaia, just Klaia. From nowhere and everywhere at the same time. Zero soldier experience.” She then gives her a fake innocent smile. Secretly, she cannot wait to spill this new intel.

@Morrighan

Morrighan's expression was clear to show her irritation when the mare said she wasn't familiar with the kingdoms. How could one not be familiar with them? Had she been alone her entire life and living in a cave? Her ignorance was disgraceful and it was becoming very clear that this mare would not be a good candidate for her ranks.

Although, her response to Morrighan's offer to join her was interesting. In fact, it intrigued her so much that she lifted her head with her ears pointed forward. A different cause? What group was forming that she hadn't heard about?

"Ah, another cause you say? Who might that be and what business do they have within Ourania?" she asked in hopes that the mare would spill more information. Whatever it may be would be valuable knowledge for her no matter which side they might be on.

Finally, she had a name to a face which was Klaia. Although, the way she introduced herself was rather odd and Morrighan couldn't help but pick on it. Plus, it was already clear she had no soldier experience.

"Well, 'Just Klaia', I'm not sure how you can be nowhere and everywhere at the same time, especially with the magic skills I saw today. However, if you have some type of teleportation power, I would be rather impressed," she replied, her lips curving into a slight smirk. "It might do you some good to learn some fighting skills… unless this 'other cause' will be doing that?"

Her eyes fell on Klaia, watching her closely. The burning from her hooves ceased for now, but she was not tired yet. Morrighan was determined to get information out of this woman no matter what it took. She wasn't sure just how stubborn the mare would be to give it up, but she would soon find out. It had been a while since she had done an interrogation, but maybe it could make this encounter a little more interesting.

"Speaking."

@Klaia

The other mare is irritated and it shows, but the horned equine cannot let this phase her. She must stand up against this bully. The only one who is allowed to make her feel like a pile of dirt is herself! Although she should really stop that too. Even if she would usually be glad to catch somebody’s attention, Morrighan’s sudden interest in this new cause she has mentioned makes her stomach do a back-flip. Her brain whirrs around trying to string together words in a coherent fashion. She opens her mouth and then shuts it and shakes her head solemnly. “I’m sorry but those of this group have been selected by the fates, brought together near the rift.” Her explanation is not entirely true and not entirely false either. There was a gathering near the rift but that has yet to fully form a union. She hopes that is the next step, as whatever great force resides in the rift made it clear that staying divided would only cause more pain and destruction. “We’re not in the recruiting stage yet but perhaps then I could tell you more.” She does not really think another meeting will happen. And by the way she spoke of wolves, the former soldier would not be eager to try and make a kingdom like that work. This could be their first enemy, Klaia’s first enemy. Is this what actually living means?

Her own words are then twisted and reflected back at her, making her feel small and weak. True, that was what she wanted but she can’t help that she is so sensitive. Silently she vows to toughen up, to become stronger so that no one could undermine her or make her feel like nothing again. It will probably be very hard. She notices that the ground under the other woman’s hooves seems to have stopped smoking. “No, I don’t have that sort of magic. I meant that I have all of Ourania as my home and that way I don’t have a set base. Yet.” Somehow when she has to explain it does not sound as profound and mysterious as she had intended previously. The villainess then brings the conversation back to the cause she spoke of. “Soldier? Uh no we have other soldiers. My purpose is more…democratic.” Yeah, why not she has made some wolf friends and acquaintances so she could serve as a bridge between species. “I mean I want to control this magic but probably it’ll be more of the defensive type.” She explains to the stranger, probably the most honest words she has spoken to her.

@Morrighan

As Klaia went on to describe the cause, Morrighan had a suspicion if it even existed. For one thing, something put together by the fates seemed a little far-fetched. Divine intervention? Really? Please. If there was something like that, why would the world have gone into chaos and rendered them all magic-less? They must have some kind of sick sense of humor.

"Huh, I see…" she replied, mulling over what the mare has said and putting a pin in it. If there really was a group forming, it didn't seem like the one she would be most interested in. She would need to look more into this and try to find others who may have heard more.

Klaia explained that her group did not have soldiers and it was very clear that they were going to be much more passive. Morrighan rolled her eyes, but suppressed a groan. They were probably all hippies thinking everyone could co-exist for the greater good. It made the grullo mare sick.

"Well, good luck to you all if you ever get attacked. Hippies are the most vulnerable," Morrighan said, her two-colored eyes glistening. "That peace and love crap is not realistic, you know."

The bay mare mentioned that her magic would be defensive, which only made her point stand out even more. "Magic is good to defend yourself, but you need to learn how to fight too. Otherwise you'll just be taking a serious beating and nothing productive will happen." For a moment, she felt a little annoyed at herself because it seemed like she was giving out sage advice to this scrub. Maybe a small part of her was feeling sorry for Klaia, but it was very short lived. There were better things for her to do today, especially now that she had all this information.

"But, no matter. I have better things to attend to. Good luck with your fantasy!" she said with a laugh and a flip of her forelock. Without any other word, Morrighan turned around and galloped off in the direction of Eden in hopes of some shade. There was no telling if she'd ever see this mare again, but hopefully if she did, she'd have her magic back by then and could really teach her a lesson.

At the very least, all she could do was leave burned hoofprints in the grass. If Klaia looked down, she would see two new prints with faint smoke rising up. A reminder - or a warning - however she may interpret it.

- Exit -

"Speaking."

@Klaia sorry this took so long ;_; figured this might be a good spot to end it so I hope that's okay!

JUMP: